The dictionary defines value as the worth or cost of something. However, what if the worth of something is infinite? How is value defined then? I think, like many others, that the value of something can become so great that it is priceless, that money no longer has any affect on the giving of something so valuable. But what has so much value that it could be considered priceless? I think the best way to find out would be to find something priceless, but we would have to find something priced.
Ever since I was in the 6th grade I have played the Tenor Saxophone as my main instrument, and I have always loved it. It is still a shiny golden color and I use it in the school’s concert band. It has a great sound and I like using it in jazz pieces and I love playing with the band, and playing it brightens up my day. I consider my tenor saxophone an item of worth, and very important to me. I (and by I, I mean my mother) recently bought it for around $900, and is by far my most expensive instrument. It is priced because it is replaceable, although for $900 I would rather not. I like it but there are things that are worth much more to me.
Finding something thats priceless is a little more difficult, but still doable, and priceless things vary much more from person to person. One of the things that I consider priceless is my music, actually sometimes the music I make with my saxophone. I always liked music, and getting to play and make music is one of the best experiences that I have, and I get to do it almost every day. I have always had an interest in the arts, and even though I like sports, I have always been much more interested in the arts. Acting and music are my favorite things to do. What I like about music is that it is so diverse and distinct and can have such feeling and emotion that it is never the same. Music has the power to make people feel emotions without talking, and the can be happy or sad, angry or calm. I like to play music because, first, I like to be with other musicians who like to play music like I do and who understand the impact music has in some peoples lives and how music is good for people. Second, I like to play for people to make them feel happy and sometimes sad, or at least make them feel something because that is the beauty of music, that it can make you feel. No amount of money is able to replace making music because making music with people who understand why music is so great is one of the best things to do and for those who have never gotten to make music, I would surely recommend it.
There are usually differences between items of different values, but there are usually similarities too, even between priced and priceless items or experiences. While one be touched and one cannot, and one is real and one isn’t, both my tenor saxophone and my music make me happy, they are things that make make me happy. I prefer to think that happiness is the true determination of worth.
So what if you don’t think making music is priceless? Or have never thought of an instrument of something of value? Well then first off I’m guessing you probably have never made music or played an instrument. If you have and still aren’t convinced then I suggest you do try and find something priceless if you haven’t already, because every time you find something priceless, money becomes less and less important and understanding that money is not the most critical piece of a good lifestyle is something a lot of people could use.
interesting perspective comparing the instrument to the music made by it. I thought that this was very poetic.
ReplyDeleteCan I comment on this blog, because satchel is not able to.
ReplyDeleteI can clearly see that the things you see as valuable are your sax and music but music is better defined. Descriptive language is definitely the strong suit of this essay and i can picture what you’re portraying. I would suggest making it neater however.
ReplyDeleteOk now that I know that i can comment on this blog i thought that author is saying that value can be number or it can be a feeling or an emotion, something that can not be priced.I think that the authors Tenor saxaphone was more well described. I definitely think that this essay has strengths in its description of happines that writing music brings the author. The author could consider telling us what kind of songs that he plays on his saxaphone.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like how you think that something is valuable if it can make feel emotions without talking. This was very obvious when you were talking about music in general. I think you described how you see music very clearly. For example,
ReplyDelete"What I like about music is that it is so diverse and distinct and can have such feeling and emotion that it is never the same. Music has the power to make people feel emotions without talking, and the can be happy or sad, angry or calm."
I think you described both of your objects well enough to where i could paint a picture in my head about both. Also, your intro really made me read more. Good job. There is nothing that i could think of to make it better.